- Hare femoral traction kit
- Lie the patient supine with the injured leg supported.
- Provide appropriate analgesia for patient.
- Ensure you are using a hospital bed where you have 20 cm of room distal to the injured leg for the traction device to extend into.
- Appropriately position the leg support straps (2 above knee, 2 below knee).
- Secure the ankle attachment.
- Using device, apply longitudinal traction (utilize approximately 10% of patient’s total body weight).
- Reassess pulses, motor and sensation.