- Splinting material (padded fiberglass or 12-15 layers of plaster)
- Elastic bandaging
- Proximal: Proximal femur
- Distal: Plantar surface of the metatarsal heads
- Extends down posterior leg, under the knee, over the heel and ends at the metatarsal heads.
- Toes remain free.
- Splint applied with knee in 5-15º flexion (place a pillow under the knee to support at this angle) and ankle in slight plantar flexion.
- Patient is supine.
- Apply padding along the entire leg, with special attention to padding over the calcaneus.
- Secure splinting material with elastic bandage.
- Reassess pulses, motor and sensation.