- Splinting material (padded fiberglass or 12-15 layers of plaster)
- Elastic bandaging
- 3–4 cm below the level of fibular head on both the medial and lateral leg.
- Start on lateral leg.
- Wrap under the plantar surface of foot.
- End on medial side at same level as the lateral side.
- Ankle positioned at 90º.
- Patient can be positioned prone or sitting with knee bent at 90º.
- Apply padding, with special attention to padding over the medial and lateral malleolus.
- Apply splinting material and mold to support injury.
- Secure with elastic bandage.
- Reassess pulses, motor and sensation.