- Splinting material (padded fiberglass or 8-10 layers of plaster)
- Elastic bandaging
- Proximal: Mid-forearm
- Distal: Mid-distal phalanx of thumb
- Extend down radial aspect of forearm.
- Splint should include the thumb while leaving the other 4 digits unaffected.
-Thumb should be slightly flexed and abducted (like holding a wine glass).
- Cut hole in stockinette for thumb and apply to hand and forearm.
- Apply second small piece of stockinette over the thumb.
- Cut wedges on both sides of splinting
material at MCP joint to keep splint material from bunching.
- Apply padding to the hand and wrist evenly. Pay particular attention to the base of the thumb and distal radius.
- Mold splinting material to the radial aspect of the forearm. Wrap splinting material around the thumb. Maintain slight wrist extension.
- Wrap in elastic bandage
- Reassess pulses, motor and sensation.