- Splinting material (padded fiberglass or 8-10 layers of plaster)
- Elastic bandaging
- Proximal: Mid-forearm
- Distal: Mid-distal phalanx
- Extend down ulnar forearm including 4th and 5th digits.
- Forearm in neutral position
- Wrist and hand in "intrinsic-plus" position
- Wrist extended approximately 30º
- MCPs in 70º to 90º of flexion
- Proximal interphalangeal and distal interphalangeal joints in full extension
- Pad the hand and wrist evenly, paying particular attention to areas of possible friction, such as the area between the 4th and 5th digits and the ulnar styloid.
- Mold the splinting material to the ulnar side of the arm/wrist/fingers to maintain the intrinsic-plus position.
- Wrap in elastic bandage.
- Reassess pulses, motor and sensation.