- Splinting material (padded fiberglass or 8-10 layers of plaster)
- Elastic bandaging
This splint has two components: volar wrist slab and dorsal wrist slab.
- Distal: Palm at the metacarpal heads – Proximal: Mid Forearm
- Distal: Metacarpal heads
- Proximal: Mid Forearm
Extend one slab down volar forearm and the other on the dorsal forearm.
- Forearm in neutral position with thumb up
- Wrist slightly extended (10–20º)
- Maintain "can holding" position
- Pad the hand and wrist evenly, paying particular attention to areas of possible friction
- Mold the splinting material both to the volar and dorsal forearm.
- Wrap in elastic bandage
- Reassess pulses, motor and sensation.